Friday 3 May 2013

Artefact 1 - Results


Question: How is Responsive Design affecting the changing business patterns of digital marketing?

For Artefact 1, although I was unsure of where I was going with my Artefacts, I thought it would be beneficial to collect data from a survey, to act as a starting point. I believe creating a survey for my first Artefact is an advantage as it allows me to gather statistics & people's opinions and habits as regards to Responsive Design. 

As mentioned before, the main purpose of the survey is to see whether people view the same site across different platforms (i.e. desktop, tablet, mobile), and also to see whether people buy online using a  mobile device, or whether they’d use a native app. 

In total, I only received 31 results, which was fairly disappointing, since I asked my classmates and people on Facebook and online forums to fill it out. But I could only wait so long.

The Results:

My first question showed that 100% of the people asked believe that the Responsive Design technique is worth using, which can only show positivity for the future of Responsive Design.
This was then followed by the question "How many different devices do you access the internet from?" Interesting to see that nobody answered with 0. 41.94% consumed mobile media through 2 mobile devices. 48.29% answered with 3 and 9.68% accessed the internet via 3 or more devices.

Results show that 93.55% tend to but online, and only 35.48% would rather buy online usnig a mobile device - the remainder being via a desktop or laptop.

However, the results do show that 53.33% have bought online in the past using a mobile device. Comparing this to 5/10 years ago, when people hardly had the opportunity to browse the internet using their phone, this is an obvious increase.  It is expected that more people will use mobile phones than PCs to get online.

This then led onto the question "Is there a typical site you'd use across all 3 platforms?"  67.74% answered with Yes, however the examples given were social media. One person mentioned Google, which then made me think about advertising on mobile devices (quite possible this will be another Artefact later on!) Do people react in the same way if they saw an advert on a desktop?....

One final important question I asked was "How would you react if you viewed a non-mobilised website on a mobile device?" 25.81% said it wouldn't bother them. 54.84% said they wouldn't be pleased, but would continue to use the site. 12.9% said they'd leave the site straight away, whilst the remaining 6.45% selected other, with the following responses:

"If the site forces me to use a different site just for mobile devices, I leave."

"Depends on whether I can do what I need to do or not."

The first answer was a surprising answer to see. Personally, I believe if the site can deliver what I need to find out, then it shouldn't be a problem. I find it strange to see that someone would leave a site because it looks different to the desktop version.

To Conclude

The majority of the time people view the same site across different platforms. However I do not believe the results are accurate enough to answer this question. When asked "Is there a typical site you'd use across all 3 platforms?" the majority of answers given were social media. It is more than likely the person was using an App as opposed to the website.

It's clear that Responsive Design and designing for mobile devices in general is affecting digital marketing, since many people have bought or currently buy online using their mobile device. 

No comments:

Post a Comment