Wednesday 6 October 2010

My Design Process

During my second year at college, I was required to produce an interactive, non-linear multimedia presentation, using Adobe Flash, which introduced the work of Isambard Kingdom Brunel. As stated by the Specification, the presentation had to be suitable for an audience of 11-15 years (Year 7-10), who will be studying his work for a history project.

To begin my ideas, I analysed two current examples of Multimedia Presentations. I gathered their advantages and disadvantages and used them to produce a more appealing presentation.

I then created a Gantt chart to plan my time effectively. I set myself various deadlines, for example: Collect images by __/__/__.

Following this, I produced two sets of hand drawn designs, each with a script. The scripts gave details of how each page will look (i.e. what images will be used and where they will be located, the fonts and colours. It also gave details of other features used, such as sound, video and animation.) I found creating two sets of designs helped me to develop my original idea. This is because whilst creating my first design, I came across various areas I could alter and improve in order to make the second design more appropriate. For example, the first design contained quite a lot of text. In order to improve this, I created the second design to contain Next buttons, where the information is spread out over several pages and not just in one scroll box.



To test the product, I created a table, as shown below (with an example of one entry):


Scene
Test No.
Element to test
Test description
Expected result
Actual result
Actions required
Introduction
1.
Sound
I will test the sound to make sure it plays.
The sound should begin to play.
The sound begins to play when the product is loaded.
No Action







I tested each feature on the product to make sure it worked correctly. If, for some reason, a feature didn’t appear as planned, I reviewed the coding in Flash and altered it.



Below are screenshots of each page created:

  

No comments:

Post a Comment