Monday 21 February 2011

Interactive - Evaluation

Over several weeks, I have designed and produced a non-linear website which focuses on past and recent work. I have created a site which consists of a simple, eye-catching layout in addition to features such as text, hyperlinks, video and form. Together these produce an appealing site.

At the start of the assignment, I analysed several existing portfolio websites and noted their advantages and disadvantages. Each site had a quick loading time and displayed the navigation in a clear manner across the top of the page. I have taken into account these advantages and used them to my product’s benefit.

In order for a site to be successful the navigation must be displayed in a clear manner, allowing the site to be interactive and memorable for the user. I have produced a website that meets this requirement and in order to achieve this, I chose to create navigation that was not complicated to follow and I also chose to display it at the top of each page, enabling it to be instantly seen by the user. 


Throughout the website, the navigation contains the same colour scheme and fonts, providing the site with a consistent layout. I have chosen to create the navigation with an orange and white colour scheme, which together produce an attractive banner. I have chosen to display the links in an orange Times New Roman font because it is a classic font which is clear to read. I have chosen to display the text in an orange font because a lighter font is more visible on a darker background and vice versa. I believe this font is only suitable for a small area of text and not a large paragraph because if a large amount of text was written in this font, then it would be difficult to read.

In addition to the navigation at the top, I have also provided the same navigation at the bottom of each page, but in a smaller font. This then allows the user to navigate to another page without scrolling to the top.


Where there is writing on the site, I have ensured the language used is simple, yet interesting to read. This is because it is aimed at a large audience, and if the user is of a younger age, then it should be simple. On the About Page, I have ensured the text is clear to read by displaying the text in a white, Arial font.
I have ensured each page contains a similar layout. Although this is an advantage of the product, due to consistency, it is also a disadvantage because each page contains an image in the same place with the same border.

Evaluation to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment